Our junior membership is very important to us at Newport Sands Golf Club, we invest a lot of time and energy into that section and enjoy doing it very much. There are lots of benefits for children being involved in golf and here are our top ten:
1. Enjoy the outdoors Golf gives young people an opportunity to spend a few hours in fresh air, experiencing all types of flora and fauna.
2. Develop lifelong friendships You never know who you will meet on a golf course, and interaction with others allow young people to develop social skills.
3. Practice personal responsibility Sometimes the ball doesn’t always bounce your way, but regardless of the outcome, there is no blaming your teammates for what happens.
4. Have a safe place to play The golf course is a safe place and facilitates mentoring relationships in a safe environment.
5. Learn to manage your emotions Golf closely parallels real life as one experiences the highs and lows of the game. The range of experience, from birdies to triple bogeys, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand.
6. Appreciate diversity Golf is a game that can be played for a lifetime by anyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, size or skill level.
7. Prepare for business Golf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas.
8. Learn etiquette Young people should play golf because it is based on characteristics that are too often missing in today’s win-at-all-costs society. Golf places an emphasis on etiquette. In golf there is no judge or referee; instead, players govern themselves and fellow competitors.
9. Spend time with family Golf is a game that encourages family participation. It’s an activity that everyone can enjoy together and brings the family together in a shared passion.
10. Develop healthy habits for life With the youth obesity epidemic in our country, golf is a sport that helps young people get off the couch. When you play golf, walking the golf course and carrying your bag, a 150-pound person burns 350 calories and walks more than 10,000 steps.
We have always had a very big junior section in the club and are really looking to attract families, where everyone can enjoy a child friendly happy Who knows what our membership will bring – maybe the next Rory Mcilroy!! From Sunday April 10th we will be holding Junior coaching sessions every Sunday with two groups The Panthers – (Under 10’s) and the Lions (10 and over). The Panthers will be from 2pm – 2.50pm and the Lions will be from 3pm – 4pm every Sunday afternoon.
Please give Julian or Alun a call to book a place on 01239 820244.